TODAY IS BUNSEN BURNER DAY
NATIONAL CLAM ON THE HALF SHELL DAY!
I am not that well versed on COTHS, but aren't they uncooked? Maybe they shouldn't have put these days together....
- Part one of Dickens' The Postumous Papers of the Pickwick Club was published. They were supposed to caricature captions but became so popular, they were combined to form a book in 1837. He was 24!! Go Boz!!!
- 1888, the Eiffel Tower opened...984 feet of beams and rivets. No elevator on that first day, so Eiffel and some friends climbed the stairs to the top! huff-huff.
- Knute Rocke is killed in a plane crash on this day in 1931 at the age of 43. Did you know he also had a car named after him (it was a Studebaker).
- 1943, Oklahoma premiered on Broadway. It was the first Rogers and Hammerstein collboration. Choreography was by legendary (even then) Agnes DeMille. The cast were all unknowns. Great Job Richard and Oscar!!!
- In 1995, Baseball players were sent back to work after the longest strike in baseball history. It even made the powers that be cancel the 1994 World Series. (I do have a baseball from that ill fated game available for sale on my website...)
- 1596 Rene Descartes Philosopher (I think, therefore, I am)
- 1732 Joseph Haydn Composer (father of the symphony)
- 1915 Henry Morgan Comedian (I've Got a Secret)
- 1925 Leo Buscaglia Inspirationalist (The Fall of Freddie the Leaf, Love)
- 1927 Cesar Chavez Labor Leader (co-founder, United Farm Workers)
- 1927 William Daniels Actor (St. Elsewhere)
- 1928 Gordie Howe Hockey Player
- 1929 Liz Claiborne Fashion Designer
- 1932 John Jakes Author (North & South trilogy, Kent Family Chronicles octology)
- 1934 Shirley Jones Actress/Singer (Oklahoma, The Partridge Family)
- 1935 Herb Albert Musician (The Tijuana Brass)
- 1935 Richard Chamberlain Actor (The Thorn Birds)
- 1943 Christopher Walken Actor (Deer Hunter)
- 1945 Gabe Kaplan Actor (Welcome Back, Kotter)
- 1948 Al Gore, Jr Politician/Activist
- 1948 Rhea Perlman Actress (Cheers)
- 1971 Ewan McGrefor Actor (Star Wars)