Friday, June 18, 2010

Splurge on Panicing the Fish

Today is Go Fishing Day. I have tried fishing, not really my thing, but I will go out on the boat with you and read while you fish. Some believe that this day was started in honor of the first fly fishing tournament on this day in 1861 in Utica, NY.   OMG…WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO???!!! It’s  International Panic Day!!!! Now, if you are done panicing, today is also National Splurge Day. If I was employed, I would definitely splurge on a bunch of stuff!

Historically speaking, Sally Ride hit outer space in 1983, the first American woman to do so.  In 1778, Brezhnev and Carter signed the SALT-II treaty.  Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly over the Atlantic in an aircraft in 1928, although she was only a passenger on this trip, whe would soon pilot her own trip. Checker Cab  put out its first taxi in 1923. I wonder if it was yellow.  Also, in 1873, Susan B. Anthony was arrested in Rochester, NY for voting. Napoleon was defeated in 1815 at Waterloo (wasn’t that a song?).  In 1812, the war began.  The British abandoned the US Capital, Philadelphia, in 1778 after 9 months of occupation.

Birthday-ically speaking, actress Carol Kane was born in 1952. In 1942, Beatle, Paul McCartney and critic, Roger Ebert were born. 1903 gave us Jeanette MacDonald, what a sweet voice! Bud Collyer, game show host, in 1908, and, in 1886, mountain climber and explorer George Mallory was born. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my best to review this comment and add it as soon as possible. Sorry, but if it is mean, crude, disgusting or irrelevant I can't post it. Remember we are supposed to be celebrating not dragging people down.