Monday, August 9, 2010

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS


Today is Book Lover’s Day. I am a book lover, are you? In fact, I am just whipping through James Patterson’s I, Alex Cross. 2 days and I am nearly done! I love a quick read. I also have about 3 dozen boxes of books in the garage dating as far back as the mid-1800’s. I just can’t seem to get rid of them. The house is also loaded with books. Every possible shelf has at least one row of books on them. Hi, my name is Patti, and I am a bookaholic…

According to the History Books...
Ø      Grateful Dead founding guitarist, Jerry Garcia died of a heart attack at the age of 53.
Ø      Arthur Walker, a retired US Naval officer, was found guilty of spying for the USSR. His brother and nephew were also charges with similar charges and eventually plead guilty.
Ø      After the resignation of President Nixon, Vice President Gerald Ford was sworn in as President. Ford was the only person not elected to serve as President. He was appointed Vice President earlier in the year and when Nixon resigned, he was given the oath of office as the VP successor.
Ø      In 1969, the horrific discovery of five people, including pregnant Sharon Tate rocked the entire country. The still jailed “Manson Family” was convicted of this crime, among others. If you would like to read more into the mind of a nut job, pick-up the then assistant district attorney Vincent Bugliosi’s Helter Skelter.
Ø      Betty Boop debuted in the short animated film, Dizzy Dishes in 1930.
Ø      In 378, The Visigoths defeated the Romans at the Battle of Adrianople. Why is this important, I have no idea, I read about war stuff and basically hear in my head “blah, blah, 378, wow that was a long time ago!”

On August 9th in…
1968, Gillian Anderson, the actress from X-Files was born. Has she done anything other than that? In 1967, cross-training football-baseball player, Deion Sanders was born. 1964 saw the birth of Brett Hull, Bobby Hull’s son and  an NHL hockey player in his own right. In 1963, Whitney Houston began exercising her lungs. By the way, Dolly’s original version of I Will Always Love You is the best! Don Johnson’s ex and Antonio Banderes’ current, Melanie Griffith was born in 1957. Jonathan Kellerman, writer responsible for creating one of my favorite doctor detectives, Alex Delaware, was born. In 1944, slow talkin’ Sam Elliott was born. And, finally, poet John Dryden was born in 1631. Some of his works include: Marriage a la Mode; The Mistaken Husband; King Arthur and Fables, Ancient and Modern .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my best to review this comment and add it as soon as possible. Sorry, but if it is mean, crude, disgusting or irrelevant I can't post it. Remember we are supposed to be celebrating not dragging people down.