Monday, April 9, 2012

Dirty Hands

Today is Garden Week during Lawn and Garden Month. Do you have a garden? I always thought I would like to have a garden. I guess because I like the idea of all those nice flowers. but I have never really been able to get the earth to grow the things I want to look at.

I am not much a a fresh veggie gal, either. I don't mind a tomato in my salad or on a sandwich but I am not like many people who could just take a bite out of a tomato just picked from the vine. Peppers, onions, cukes...they don't agree with me. They always want to sass back.

Peas would be good for me to grow in my garden. Once, I tried to grow corn, actually two years in a row. The chipmunks got my first years planting. The following year I rigged up a chicken-wire frame to keep those little buggers out. It seemed to work as I got quite a few stalks growing. It wasn't until later that I was told by a real gardener that I needed to 'pollinate' the stalks by hand to actually get corn.

Well, that might have been mostly true but I did get an ear of corn. It looked like one of those baby corns you see packed in a glass jar full of water in the veggie aisle. You know, the ones like Tom Hanks tried eating while being an adult in the movie Big.


Well, needless to say, I don't have a garden anymore. Well, not MY garden. There is a landscaped area in front of my unit that has irises in the spring that are pretty that someone else planted and takes care of. Pretties without having to get my hands dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my best to review this comment and add it as soon as possible. Sorry, but if it is mean, crude, disgusting or irrelevant I can't post it. Remember we are supposed to be celebrating not dragging people down.