Friday, March 27, 2015

Hello?

HELLO! Long time no visit....I have been so negligent in my posting, but will try, again, to keep up. I really enjoy coming up with reasons to celebrate.

I sat down this morning to post today when I got a call from my sister in Mississippi. Even in this age of instant messaging, Facebook and cell phones it has been a good little while since we 'chatted'. All of these technologies still can't help the brain remember things.

So, while listening to Keeks fill me in on the family, I scrolled through a few lists of historical happenings and special days when one jumped out at me as appropriate for my day today:

On March 27, 1884 the first long distance call made from Boston, Mass to New York, NY was placed.

Although other long distance lines had been erected and used, this was the inaugural use of this particular line. Another first for the day, this particular phone line used copper rather than galvanized iron. I don't know much about galvanized iron, but it sounds quite heavy. AND since, until recently when fiber optics were invented, all phone lines began using copper, it was probably provided a better quality to all calls.

I wonder what Bell, Grey, Edison, Morse, Manzetti, Reis and the scores of other inventors thought of or built of what turned out to be known as the telephone if they were here today. Making a call on our cell phones and talking across distances without wires and sending "letters" without paper and ink.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my best to review this comment and add it as soon as possible. Sorry, but if it is mean, crude, disgusting or irrelevant I can't post it. Remember we are supposed to be celebrating not dragging people down.