Saturday, July 3, 2010

You Look Great!!

Today is Compliment Your Mirror Day, I am not sure I will be able to participate in this holiday…It seems so…vain. Another celebration I am not sure I can do (oh wait, I just did it!!) Disobedience Day! I won’t celebrate, I won’t, I won’t, I won’t! Today is also Stay Out of the Sun Day.  On days like the ones we had last week, that would have been easy to do, today though, with the temps hovering around the 80’s, it is just too easy to go out and enjoy, especially on a Saturday!

1985- Back to the Future, starring Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd, was released. Not only was it a box office smash, but the movie created and instant classic to the stainless steel DeLorean, which had been out of production for three years at the time of the movie’s release.
1962- Thomas Cruise Mapother IV, actor and show off, was born in Syracuse, NY
1956- Talk Show host and Multiple Sclerosis advocate, Montel Williams, was born in Baltimore, MD.
1947- Dave Barry, syndicated newspaper columnist, was born in Armonk, NY.
1938- Mallard, a steam locomotive set a speed record (for steam locomotives) of 126mph.
1928- London television station broadcast the first color television signals.
1908- Mary Frances Kennedy Fisher was born in Albion, MI.  She is described as a prolific writer. I had not heard of her before, but browsing her list of works, I think I would like her books. I am on my way to the library tomorrow. Maybe I will get How to Cook a Wolf or The Art of Eating or maybe Sister Age.
1886- The New York Tribune eliminated hand typesetting and began using a Linotype machine, the first newspaper to do so.
1884- Dow Jones published its first stock average.
1883- Franz Kafka was born. He is known for his novels: The Trial, The Castle, Amerika and shorts stories,The Metamorphosis and In the Penal Colony. Many believe his writing should be considered required reading for everyone.  
1878- Everyone’s Yankee Doodle Dandy, George M Cohan, was born.
1852- The San Francisco Mint was established by congress, the US’s second in the country.
1844- The last pair of Great Auk were killed by three men, strangling the adults and smashing the egg they were incubating. Creeps! There was a sighting of a single bird in 1852 in Newfoundland, but that was the end of that species.
1806- Michael Kent displayed the first cultivated strawberry. Before this farmer went where no one had gone before, strawberries were only grown and picked in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my best to review this comment and add it as soon as possible. Sorry, but if it is mean, crude, disgusting or irrelevant I can't post it. Remember we are supposed to be celebrating not dragging people down.