Thursday, April 9, 2015

End of American Civil War

Today, April 9, 2015, marks the 150th anniversary of the end of the nearly 4 year long War Between the States (aka the American Civil War).

In this little slice of my opinion I am not going to celebrate the war itself or even the ending of the war. I am not a Civil War buff, nor a history buff (per se), and I don't know too much about the matter.

What I am celebrating is my connection to the surrender. I know I am probably stretching it, but While researching my family history, I discovered that a great, great, great cousin, several times removed had moved from Richmond and rented the McLean house (which was now owned by John Pascoe who had purchased the bank owned house at auction in November, 1869).

"Cousin" Nathaniel Ragland then purchased the home from Pascoe for $1250 and lived their until his death. His Widow (Martha, I believe) then sold the home in 1891 to a Yankee from Niagara Falls, NY for a whopping $10,000.

I wonder, was she a genius marketer and used the historical past to make such a wonderful profit?

So, today, I celebrate a distant cousin who really had nothing to do with the surrender of Robert E. Lee and his Confederate Army at the McLean House in Appomattox, VA on this sesquicentennial anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my best to review this comment and add it as soon as possible. Sorry, but if it is mean, crude, disgusting or irrelevant I can't post it. Remember we are supposed to be celebrating not dragging people down.