Friday, May 21, 2010

Bikes and Eating Out.

National Bike to Work Day – Even if I had a job, at this point in my residency I would  not ride my bike to work today. If I did, I would need a shower and a nap on both ends of my journey. Too much altitude.
National Waiters and Waitresses Day – If it weren’t for waitstaff, you would have to get your own dressing, water and dinner. Tip well, just remember, would you want to wait on you?

Did You Study This in History Class?
…1881…The American Red Cross was formed by Clara Barton.
…1924…Leopold and Loeb murdered a 14-year old to see if they could perform the ‘perfect crime’. I guess since they were caught and convicted, they didn’t.
…1934…Oskaloosa, IA was the first municipality in the US to fingerprinting all of its residents…I wonder if they still do it.
…1936…Sada Abe was finally arrested. She had been spotted for several days wandering the streets of Tokyo with her dead lover’s genitals in her hand.
…1941…SS Robin Moor, while 950 miles off the coast of Brazil, was the first US ship sunk by a German U-boat.
…1945…Lauren Bacall married Humphrey Bogart.

Some of Today’s Birthdays (yeah, I said some)…
1898…Armand Hammer, industrialist and philanthropist. No, he is not responsible for baking soda, he was a medical doctor, but he was best know for his diplomacy.
1904…Thomas “Fats” Waller, jazz pianist. Ain’t Misbehavin’ Honeysuckle Rose, Squeeze Me.
1909…Sister Maria Innocentia Hummel, teacher and artist. Yes, you know the name, she created the famous figurines.
1916…Harold Robbins, novelist. Have you read: The Carpetbaggers, Tycoon, The Deceivers.
1917…Raymond Burr, actor. Famous for his rolls in Ironsides and Perry Mason.
1921…Andrei Sakharov, physicist and activist.
1924…Peggy Cass, actress and panelist. You know her from What’s My Line and To Tell the Truth, Auntie Mame,
1948…Leo Sayer, singer/songwriter. You Make Me Feel Like Dancing; More Than I Can Say.
1951…Al Franken, comedian, actor, writer (and now) senator.
1952…Lawrence Tero, actor…never heard of him? That’s because his ‘stage name’ is Mr. T.
1956…Judge Reinhold, actor. Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Beverly Hills Cop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my best to review this comment and add it as soon as possible. Sorry, but if it is mean, crude, disgusting or irrelevant I can't post it. Remember we are supposed to be celebrating not dragging people down.