Saturday, May 22, 2010

Music Music Music

Today is Buy a Musical Instrument Day. I never played a musical instrument when I was a kid. Well, not formally, I played a bit of electronic keyboard, but not for a band or orchestra, just for me. My sisters both were played, one flute the other cello. What is funnier than a 10 year old hauling a cello ¼ mile to school every day?

Today in History…
…1804, Former Vice President, Aaron Burr was indicted for treason. Something about leasing land from Spain in the Texas part of Mexico to claim lands for himself if there was a war…I don’t get it.
…1813, Richard Wagner was born. When he grew up, he became a composer.
…1819, The SS Savannah leaves SC port to be the first steamship to cross the Atlantic.
…1844, Mary Cassatt was born. She would become an artist mostly painting women and children in loving images.
…1859, (Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle was born. He famous for his Sherlock Holmes detective stories. But have you read, The Lost World; Micah Clarke; or The exploits of Brigadier Gerard (all non-Holmes books)
…1907, Lord Laurence Olivier was born. I believe that this actor and director wanted to work on every Shakespeare piece.
…1906, The Wright Brothers patent their aircraft. It would be two years before they ‘proved’ it would work.
…1941, Paul Winfield was born. This actor can be seen in The Terminator; Brother John; and scores of TV guest appearances. His voice is well known on City Confidential.
…1943, Tommy John was born. He would live every boy’s dream as a major league baseball pitcher
…1960, The most powerful earthquake ever recorded, 9.5R, hits southern Chile.
…1967, Debut of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood. It ran for 895 episodes. Drat, now I can’t get that song out of my head…”It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood. A beautiful day in the…ARGH!!
…1972, Ceylon adopted a new Constitution, joined the British Commonwealth and changed its name to Sri Lanka. (I kinda like Ceylon better.)
…1992, Johnny Carson host The Tonight Show for the last time. He was not the first host of the show and certainly was not the last, dare I say he was the best? Vote for your fave…Steve Allen (54-57); Jack Parr (57-62); Carson (62-92); Leno (92-09); O’Brien (09-10); Leno (10-…).
…2004, A tornado hit Hallam, NE. This F4 broke a width record at 2.5 miles wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will do my best to review this comment and add it as soon as possible. Sorry, but if it is mean, crude, disgusting or irrelevant I can't post it. Remember we are supposed to be celebrating not dragging people down.